surface wax removal.

May 15th, 2013

A little over 3 years ago I hopped off the J, Z train line and started making my way to my then South Street Seaport apartment. {Only a 1/2 floor below where Paul & I would make our first home.} When I was only a block away from the station I stumbled upon the most amazing old school buffet. In NYC a good piece of furniture rarely lasts for long on the streets so I called Paul immediately. He was at the gym but promised to help me drag it home later that evening. In an effort to keep the other rat snackers away I took 2 drawers home right then. I came back with the granny cart my mom got me as soon as I moved to NYC {for groceries. and laundry. and all of the other junk scooting that goes on in the city.} and loaded up all of the drawers like a Grade A bag lady.

After Paul’s gym time we carried it all the way home. It was only slightly over a half mile walk home but it was February and the piece is massive. And heavy. Really heavy. But that is why I liked it. It wasn’t like the rest of our IKEA composite furniture. After multiple bruises, maybe a couple of bad words, and the threat of leaving it 2 blocks away our buffet made its first home 257 Water Street. I waited to do the total overhaul until my move later that year so my mom could help me tackle the project. It needed a lot of sanding, a lot of painting, and definitely needed a new set of knobs. And now we love it.

I, however, made the mistake of burning thick candles in equally over-sized candlesticks and the wax went EVERYWHERE. Once it started spilling over I just let it keep on keepin’ on. I figured if I had to remove a little I could remove a lot. And then I didn’t. And then it started collecting weird things like fuzz, and dirt, and just general yuckiness. This past weekend I was cleaning the other side of the buffet and made the executive decision to get the wax off asap. I tried an exacto knife, I tried just peeling … but they were both kind of an epic fail. After lots of thinking, and a little bit of googling, I realized I could use my hair dryer to melt the wax and wipe up the liquified wax with a wet rag immediately following.


The process was really simple. With my hair dryer on low heat I heated the wax in patches. I shielded the space in the event I moved the dryer too quickly and sent the wax scattering on the wall.  And it worked like a charm! And you can use this on most any surface. Total life saver.


Much better! {And, thanks for my flowers Paulie! Did you remember to change the water this morning? Now we’ll be able to see if he really reads my posts … fully. Ha!}

Happy hump day! I hope it has been great.


XX Leigh-Taylor